Saturday, December 2, 2017

A week of activity

On Monday after work, I did the next run on my training schedule.  This was a 4-mile run at a pace of 11:18 min/mi, or 5.3 mph on the treadmill.  For some reason, this run seemed too hard.  Possibly it was because I had done a long run (of only 6 miles) the day before plus the two hours of tennis.  I also wondered if it was because when I run on the treadmill, I'm running in the relatively warm house.  I don't know.

Tuesday morning, I did "workout 1" from Nia Shanks's website.  I think I've described it here before.  I also did some foam rolling and stretching.

On Tuesday after work, I did the next run on my training schedule.  This one was my first speedwork on this training plan.  I did this on the treadmill.  I did a 1-mile warm-up at 4.7 mph, which felt very slow.  Then I alternated 1 mile at 6.4 mph with 1 min at 4.7 mph.  Finally, I had a 1-mile cool-down at 4.7 mph.  I got through the first fast mile with no breaks, but it was tough.  I was starting to feel like I had a band around my chest so I couldn't breathe well.  I'm not sure what my heart rate was doing, because I felt like it wasn't reading right on my Garmin.  I had to take some breaks during the next two fast miles.  In order to "cool" myself during this run, I turned on the small fan on my treadmill, and I wore my neck ice-pack.  I was definitely a little cooler, but I'm still not sure if this is a big issue.

Wednesday morning, I did my agility and plyo workout.

Wednesday evening, I had a 6.5 combo match.  My partner and I won, 6-3, 7-5.  This was a good win for us!  Our opponents switched sides in the second set, which definitely helped them, but we managed to adjust and get the win.

Thursday morning, I did "workout 2" from Nia Shanks's website.  I also did some foam rolling and stretching.

Thursday evening, I had a 7.5 combo match.  Unfortunately this ended up being a loss.  My 4.0 partner and I won the first set easily 6-0.  One of our opponents was a big hitter and had a hard serve, but she couldn't get it in in the first set and made a lot of errors.  In the second set, she stopped making errors, and they managed to win the set 6-4.  We couldn't figure out how to adjust and also lost the match tie-breaker.  Definitely a bummer.

Friday morning I decided to get an extra hour of sleep after my late matches the two nights before, and I skipped my morning workout.  In the evening, my husband and I had a 7.5 mixed combo match together.  This turned out to be quite a match.  The opposing man was a very big server and hitter, with a lot of topspin.  I really had trouble getting his balls back in the first set, and my husband was making some errors, too.  We lost the first set 6-3.  But we both managed to tighten up our play in the second set, and we won it 6-3.  We kept the momentum in the match tie-breaker and won the match.  That was very satisfying.

Saturday morning, I did the next run on my training schedule.  This was 5 miles at a 11:18 min/mi pace.  I did this outside on Sligo Creek.  It was about 30 F, which was great weather to run in.  I managed to get 4 of the 5 miles within my pace target, which was good.  I missed the other one fast.

Saturday afternoon, I played two hours of tennis with our Saturday contract time group at Wheaton.  This was fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment