Friday, May 29, 2015

Race Pace Run

Today before lunch I did the next run on my training schedule.  This turned out to be a hard one.

I was supposed to run 5 x 1 mi at my goal race pace, which is 6.7 mph (8:58 pace), and alternate that with 5 x 0.5 mi at an easy pace, which I picked to be 5 mph (12:00 pace).  Well, the race pace segments were quite hard.  I had to insert more breaks, and then eventually quit the race pace segments early, because I was getting lightheaded.  I ended up doing the first 3 segments (with some extra breaks) and getting about 2/3 of the way through the 4th race pace segment.  This came to 5.6 mi in 56:00, instead of the 7.5 mi in 1:15:00 that was planned.

Does this mean that I've picked a race goal that is too ambitious?  I'm really not sure.  Running the 5 segments at race pace would've nearly been the entire race distance, which seems a bit much for so early in the training plan.  I guess we'll see how the future hard runs go.

No comments:

Post a Comment