Sunday, February 23, 2014

Boxing Morning

Today I went to my usual boxing class.  It was a good class and I worked up a nice sweat.  I do think that working on punching fast and hard has help me build upper-body power for tennis - volleys and serves.

I was thinking more about my comment yesterday that my outside runs seems to end up more like tempo runs than easy runs.  However, this article from Runner's World seems to say that when training for half-marathons, tempo runs of 6 - 8 miles are good.  So I guess that's not all bad.

However, I need to think about my training plan.  I've been doing scheduled tempo runs for about 5.0 miles on the treadmill at speeds of 6.5 mph. I do those every other week - I have been gradually escalating the pace.  I do the 6-mi run every other week, as well.  If I'm only running twice a week, is having one tempo run per week too much?  The tempo runs are paired with speed intervals one week and a longer run the second week.  Maybe that's all OK, and I'm overthinking.  So far, I've been able to keep up with the training.

I have a 3.0 match tonight.  It's against a very tough team, so unfortunately I am not optimistic about it.  But you never know what can happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment