Thursday, August 20, 2015

Shoulder Injury

Yesterday evening I had a practice with my tennis team.  There were only four of us, so we played each of the different combinations of doubles.  In the first round, Whitney and I beat Thedra and Bhanu 6-0, which was pretty surprising.  In the second round, Whitney and Bhanu beat Thedra and I 6-3.  This was a good round, and we almost won several games that we lost.  For the last round, we played a match tie-breaker, and Bhanu and I won it, 10-7.  It was good tennis!

Last night when I got into bed, I hurt my shoulder in what has to be one of the stupidest injuries ever.  I was hitching myself higher up into bed with my left elbow, and I felt something in my shoulder pull and hurt.  I kind of shrugged it off and went to sleep.  When I woke up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, the shoulder really hurt.  I took some ibuprofen.  This morning, it was still really sore - along the left side of my collarbone.  It hurts most when I just let my arm hang naturally.  I think I strained or partially tore part of my left deltoid where it attaches at the collarbone.  How dumb!

I did my workout this morning, taking it easy in case anything hurt my shoulder in particular, but it was mostly OK.  The workout I did was the lower body strength workout that I put together before vacation.  Here's how it broke down today:
  • 12 walking lunges per leg; I'm supposed to do this with a torso rotation holding a weight, but that didn't feel good, so I just did it with my arms overhead.
  • 16 steps of monster walks in both directions
  • hip thrusters: you rest your upper back on a bench, feet on the ground, and with a weight resting on your hips, thrust upwards, like with a glute bridge.  This move is a new addition to the workout.  I did 15 reps with 20 lb.
  • I repeated the first three exercises for a second set.
  • I didn't do pull-ups or plyo push-ups today because of my shoulder.
  • 20 of each of the following jumps: squat jumps, jumps onto a 12" box, lateral jumps onto a 12" box (both directions), split squat jumps, and tuck jumps.  Fortunately my Achilles did not complain about these.
  • 15 reps of wrist flexions with 5 lbs per hand
  • 15 reps of wrist extensions with 5 lbs per hand
  • 15 reps of wrist radial deviations with 5 lbs per hand
  • I repeated the three wrist exercises for a second set.
This all took me about 40 minutes and burned a little over 100 calories.  I iced my left collarbone area before the workout, and after the workout, I iced the left collarbone again, along with my Achilles.

No comments:

Post a Comment