Sunday, May 4, 2014

Finished the Half-Marathon!

Today I finally ran the Frederick Running Festival half-marathon!

The weather was beautiful and sunny but not too hot.  The race started at 7:00am.  I started out with the 2:10:00 pace group.  This worked out so, so well!  The three women pacing the group hit the mile-markers within about 20 sec of their goal times each time.  I don't know how they did it so well.  They kept me from going out too fast, so I didn't get tired out too fast.  The women also chatted a bit and cheered and did a lot to provide some mental distraction.  In addition, I chatted with another woman in our group for the first 4 - 5 miles, until I think she had to stop for a bathroom break.  Too bad I don't remember her number to know how she ended up doing.

I stuck with the pace group until we hit the mile 9 marker.  I was feeling pretty good at that point and decided that it was time to move up, if I could.  It still amazes me to think that after running 9 miles I can say "I felt pretty good and wanted to go faster".  A year ago I had just started running!

So, I pulled away from the 2:10:00 group.  I figured that if I got tired and had to fall back, I could join back up with them.  But I didn't need to.  I managed to keep going a little faster and a little faster.  However, the killer was after 12.5 miles, when the course goes uphill back to the Frederick fairgrounds.  Ouch.  I'm not sure if I even maintained my pace at that point, but I did manage to keep going.  No walking except to drink the water!

I am very happy with how I finished.  My time was 2:07:16 - I crushed my original 2:15:00 goal, and even did well compared to the 2:10:00 group!  I finished 1809 out of 4109 runners.  In my 40-44 women's age group, I was 122 out of 377.  I am happy to have finished in the top half.  Not bad for my first one!



I am hoping to do the Montgomery Parks Half-Marathon in September.  I will have to see if I can get under 2:00:00 in that one.  A good goal to work for!

No comments:

Post a Comment