Friday, May 30, 2014

High-Humidity Run

Yesterday morning, I did P90X+ Kenpo Cardio+ and burned about 240 calories.

After breakfast, we played a round of golf.  I did reasonably well.  Later in the afternoon we took an easy 3-mile walk.

This morning I did a 10-mile run.  I ran 10.02 miles in 1:46:21.  I had intended to run at my goal pace of 6.0 mph, but ended up with an average of about 5.7 mph.  I did manage not to start out too fast.  I took a lot of breaks, which added to my time, as RunKeeper doesn't always detect a break right away.  Besides that, two things that slowed me down.  First, I haven't run that far in almost a month, and not outside, so it was just hard.  Second, the humidity is so, so high.  I was dripping almost instantly, and I felt like the water I drank by-passed my stomach and just popped right back out as sweat.

For this vacation, I got a hydration pack for my long runs:  the Sidestream Running Hydration Pack .  I've used it twice now.  It's OK.  I like that it's not a backpack, which is why I got it.  It only holds 45 ounces, and in practice it's more like 36 ounces or so, but that was OK with me.  The most annoying thing is that the drinking tube, which sticks out on my right side, is in the right place for my right arm to hit it.  Every time I swing my arms, I bonk it.  It's not hard, so it doesn't really do anything - it's just a bit annoying.  I'm also not sure how well it's going to dry out and store, since I don't think I can take the bladder out of the pack or remove the end of the tube that you suck on.  We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment