This morning I did the first workout of Stage 3 of NROLW. Each exercise was 3 sets of 6 reps, with 105 sec of rest in between. 105 seconds is really long, so I usually ended up doing about 90 sec.
- One-armed dumbbell snatch: this is like the push-press move from the last stage, but it's only one arm at a time. I felt like I "got" this move, and it was actually kind of fun. I used 20 lb (you only use one dumbbell) for the first set, but moved up to 25 lb for the next two sets.
- Dumbbell single-leg Romanian deadlift: I used 12 lb per hand for this move, since the book specified "light weight". I think the idea is more balance rather than strength.
- Barbell bent-over row: I did use my barbell for this one. I used 53 lb. I may be able to increase this weight next time.
- Dumbbell single-arm overhead squat: This is a weird move. I used 12 lb for the arm overhead and 25 lb for the lowered arm. I didn't feel this much in the squat. I felt it a bit in the shoulder. Where I really felt it was in my lower back. When I squatted, I had a hard time keeping my back flat.
- Dumbbell incline bench press: I used by stability ball for this one. I used 28 lb for the first set and increased to 30 lb per hand for the next two sets.
- Plank on stability ball: This is a repeat move from the previous stage. However, I'm trying to increase to 90 sec per plank. I did that for the first round, but only did 60 sec for the next two.
- Reverse wood chop: I used a 12 lb dumbbell for the first set, but that was way too light. For the next two sets, I used 20 lb, which was better.
- The workout ends with a sequence of body-weight moves: 24 squats, 12 lunges per leg, 12 lunge jumps per leg, and 24 squat jumps. You're supposed to time it and rest for 2x that time and repeat. Well, it took me 4 minutes to do the sequence. No way was I waiting 8 minutes doing nothing. I waited 4 minutes. I really was easier the second time through with the big rest break.