Saturday, January 9, 2016

Busy Day

This morning, I went to a boxing class. I don't usually go on Saturday mornings because I have other activities, but it worked out today.  Unfortunately, an instructor that I really don't like was subbing.  Blah.  I did burn a lot of calories, but I just don't like how he does things.

After the boxing class, I went to a fitness equipment store to try out treadmills.  My 15-year-old NordicTrack Apex 4100 is about to bite the dust.  It's on its fourth belt, and it's having other problems.  My husband and I agreed that we'd get me a new treadmill after Christmas.

After some research on the Runner's World's fora, I decided to look at Precor, Spirit, and True treadmills.  This store had Precors and Spirits to try out.  I ran on a Spirit 485, Precor 211, and Precor 223.  The Spirit was the cheapest, and happily enough, I liked it the best.  It's certainly a lot quieter than my current treadmill, but that's really not saying much.  I liked the set up of the console and the arms, and it felt fine to run on.   I ran and walked a little over a mile on it.  It also goes up to a 15% incline, which I can't imagine using, but it's notable.

The Precor 211 doesn't have arms, and that turned out to really bother  me.  The console is also very minimal, without much space to set a phone or tablet, and not much in term of quick-buttons.  I didn't bother to run on it much.  The Precor 223 had arms and a better console, but I thought it felt clunkier to run on.  Also, the tablet-holder on the console stuck up high enough that I think it would block my TV view at home.  Given that it was almost $1000 more than the Spirit, it didn't seem worth choosing it.

So, hopefully I will get the Spirit 485 in a couple weeks.  The salesman gave me the sale price for New Year's, so it is not as expensive as I thought it would be, although the delivery/assembly and take-away of my old one add to the cost.

This afternoon, I had an indoor tennis practice with my team.  In the first round, my partner, Shelley, and I got creamed, 6-1, 3-0.  We weren't playing that badly, but our opponents were playing really well.  In the second round, my partner, Jill, and I did well, with a score of 7-6, 1-1.  In the last round, my partner, Whitney, and I won 6-2, 1-1.  We played well together.

No comments:

Post a Comment