Saturday, January 23, 2016

Long Run

Yesterday at noon, I did a boxing class.  This is definitely not my usual class, since I'm usually at work.   However, the university was closed and the whole area was starting to shut down in preparation for the big snowstorm that was coming for the weekend.  I knew I'd be doing a lot of running on the treadmill while everything was closed down, so it seemed like a good idea to do some different activity while I could.

The boxing was OK.  It was not my favorite instructor.  Also, I had tweaked my left knee while golfing last weekend (of all the things I do, THAT's the one that messed up my knee), and it was really bothering me during the jump rope warm up.  Then we did some sprinting, and my knee was not happy about that.  My hamstrings also didn't want to do much sprinting - they weren't sore, they just weren't doing a heck of a lot.  I really need to do some work on the fast-twitch muscles.  I've definitely gotten a lot more efficient at the long and slow work of running.

Yesterday evening and overnight, we got about 16 inches of snow.  This morning my husband and I shoveled a bunch of it, even though the storm wasn't done.  I could feel that my back wasn't happy about the shoveling, so I tried to squat with each shovel and used my legs.  That's a lot of squatting!  My husband had also shoveled some last night.

Then, after lunch, I did the next run on my training schedule, which was a 2-hr easy run  I ran on the treadmill at 5.6 mph, so the distance came to 11.2 mi.  I took a lot of breaks on the rails, as my legs were tired from the shoveling.   While I was running, my husband shoveled more - we had gotten another 5 - 6 inches.

No comments:

Post a Comment