Monday, January 5, 2015

Last BodyMedia and Basis Peak Comparison

This morning I did P90X Legs & Back.  I know that I am going to feel this one later - actually, I'm feeling it already.  This workout always leaves me sore for a week after the first time I do it after a long break.  It's definitely a good workout, though.  My Basis Peak said I burned about 175 calories in the workout.  Definitely lower than the BodyMedia device would've said, but the highest calorie burn I've gotten from the Peak for weight-lifting-type workout so far.

The last comparison I'm going to do between my old BodyMedia device and my new Basis Peak is the total calories burned in a day.
  • Dec. 31: BodyMedia 2748, Basis Peak 2125
  • Jan. 1: BodyMedia 2821, Basis Peak 2002
  • Jan. 2: BodyMedia 2910, Basis Peak 2191
  • Jan. 3: BodyMedia 3061, Basis Peak 2128
  • Jan. 4: BodyMedia 3148, Basis Peak 2538
Clearly the BodyMedia device calculates a much larger daily calorie burn.  In fact the BodyMedia totals are about 1.35 times larger than the Basis Peak's.  Which is right?  It's not clear.  However, I have felt for quite awhile that the BodyMedia calorie totals were too large.  Partly because if they were right, then I should be a walking skeleton by now, given what I eat.  But I also think that because I'm not that massive, and so it really would be unlikely for me to be consistently burning upward of 2500 cal/day with the activity I'm doing.  So I think the Basis Peak is probably closer.

That said, it's definitely going to be an adjustment for me to see the lower calorie numbers on the Basis Peak and not panic.  Hopefully I will adjust in a positive way, like not sitting around too much in my office.  We'll see how it goes.

I stopped wearing the BodyMedia device after download its data last night, and it's nice to not have the armband on after over four years.  And since the Basis Peak also has a watch and HRM, it's combined a lot of my typical exercise equipment into one item, which is nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment