Sunday, January 4, 2015

Last Day of BodyMedia

Yesterday afternoon I had a practice with my tennis team - all doubles.  I played much better than I did on Wednesday.  In the first round, my partner, Joan, and I came back from losing 4-1 to tying it up 4-4 at the end of the round.  In the second round, my partner, Jill, and I won the first "set" 7-6, but then were losing 3-1 when the round ended.  In the third round, my partner, Grace, and I won 6-3.

This morning I did my usual boxing class.  Today is going to be the last day that I wear my BodyMedia device, so I did another comparison, which I'll put below.

In the afternoon, I did the next run on my training schedule, which was to run for 60 min at an easy pace (5.8 mph for me) and then put in six 60-s hard intervals (at 7.5 mph for me).  The distance for this came out to be 5.95 mi.  My treadmill hasn't been fixed yet, so I did this run at TCCP again.  I also did a comparison between my BodyMedia device and my Basis Peak.

Here's a list of all the comparisons.  The second boxing and second run comparisons are the ones I did today.
  • 500-step test: BodyMedia 469 steps and 21 calories; Basis Peak 516 steps and 34 calories.
  • Run 1: BodyMedia 7960 steps and 460 calories; Basis Peak 7700 steps and 470 calories.
  • Run 2: BodyMedia 9565 steps and 575 calories; Basis Peak 9545 steps and 584 calories.
  • Boxing 1: BodyMedia 3619 steps and 372 calories; Basis Peak 4064 steps and 311 calories.
  • Boxing 2: BodyMedia 2992 steps and 341 calories; Basis Peak 3156 steps and 295 calories.
The running is clearly the most similar between the two devices.  For boxing, the BodyMedia has a higher calorie burn by about 1.2 times for both comparisons; the Basis Peak has a larger number of steps.  I think both devices probably find activities like boxing and tennis to be confusing, because there are not clearly-defined steps and motions, so the algorithms sometimes pick up the activity well and sometimes not.

1 comment:

  1. Yesterday afternoon I had a practice with my tennis team - all doubles. I played much better than I did on Wednesday. In the first round, my ... ibodymedia.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete