Friday, July 17, 2015

Beep Test

Yesterday evening I had a practice with my tennis team.  Before the practice, I did an aerobic capacity test called the Beep Test.  I installed an app for this test on my phone, which makes it convenient to do.  You run continuously between two markers that are 65 ft apart; the app puts out timed beeps, and you have to reach each marker before the next beep.  Gradually, the time between the beeps gets less and less, so you have to run faster and faster.  The speed you need to run starts out at about 5 mph.  Well, I was disappointed that I only completed level 5 before I had to give up because I was panting so hard.  The speed I was at was about 6.9 mph.  I know that I can run faster than that, but apparently not so continuously - you do about a minute at each speed level (with multiple beeps) before the speed increases.  I'd like to improve on this, but I have no idea when I'd fit it into my schedule - I hope my actually running training will help me improve.

After I did the Beep Test, I did a few spider drills, and then players were arriving for practice, so we started warming up early.  I played singles in both of my rounds, which was very humbling.  I played against two of our best 3.5 singles players, and they cleaned the court with me.  In the first round, I lost 6-0, 1-0.  Not even that many deuce games - my opponent had lots of well-placed shots and took advantage of my serve pretty much every time.  In the second round, I lost 6-2, 2-0.  Even though the scores aren't that different, I was definitely doing better in this round.  My partner made some mistakes on my serve.  However, she was really good at coming in to the net and putting it away.

Today is my rest day, so this morning I did my shortened version of P90X2 Recovery + Mobility.  I burned about 75 calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment