Saturday, July 11, 2015

Race Pace Intervals

This afternoon I did the next run on my training schedule, which called for race pace intervals, followed by strides.  According to the pace I want to run my 10K race at, 6.7 mph, I needed to do 5 x 1 mi at 6.7 mph, alternating with 5 x 0.5 mi at 5.0 mph.  At those speeds, that effectively becomes 5 x 9 min at 6.7 mph, alternating with 5 x 6 min at 5.0mph.  At the end, the strides were 4 x 30 sec at 7.5 mph, alternating with 4 x 45 sec at 5.0mph.  With all of this, the distance came to 8.02 mi in 1:20:00.

I expected this run to be very hard, because this was the run (without the strides) that I couldn't even finish the first time it was on the schedule at the end of May.  However, I definitely got it done without it killing me.  I did take some breaks during the race pace intervals - next time I will try to cut those down.  Even so, I think it went very well.  Maybe all the really easy runs are finally helping me out!

I watched a move to distract me: The Fountain.  This was an interesting movie, with a lot of evocative and interesting visuals.  Certainly more of a thoughtful movie than an action movie, but it did keep me entertained.

No comments:

Post a Comment