Friday, July 31, 2015

New Upper Body Workout

Yesterday after work, I did the next run on my training schedule, which was a 60-min easy run.  I ran at 5.2 mph on the treadmill, so the distance came to 5.2 mi.

This morning I did a new workout for upper body strength that is based mostly on USTA's On the Road Training workout.  I added a couple moves, and I'm doing them exclusively with dumbbells, not bands.  Here are the moves:
  • Pull-ups: 10 reps
  • Superset (2x)
    • external shoulder rotations, 15 reps, 5 lb
    • 90-90 external shoulder rotations, 15 reps, 8 lb
  • Push-ups.  I did 60 reps, cycling through 10 each of military push-ups, regular push-ups, and wide push-ups
  • Superset (2x)
    • Dumbbell push-press, 15 reps, 15 lb for the first set, 12 lb for the second
    • Bicep curls, 15 reps, 12 lb
  • Superset (2x)
    • Low to high pulls, 15 reps, 10 lb
    • Straight arm row, 15 reps, 10 lb
  • Superset (2x)
    • Upright row, 15 reps, 15 lb
    • Lateral raises, 15 reps, 8 lb
  • Superset (2x)
    • Triceps overhead presses, 15 reps, 10 lb
    • Single-arm row, 15 reps, 20 lb
    • Front raises, 15 reps, 10 lb
I got a pretty good sweat going with this.  The whole workout, with a warm-up and stretch, took about 45 minutes, which wasn't as long as I expected.  I did the supersets so that I could keep moving and not rest too much.  I burned about 125 calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment