Wednesday, August 27, 2014

New Rules of Lifting for Women: Stage 1 AMRAP

Yesterday evening, I had a practice with my tennis team.  The play went well, and it was a beautiful evening.

this morning I did the first workout in Stage 1 of NROLW.  Since Stage 1 is complete, the workout was supposed to be done with as many reps as possible (AMRAP) for each move.  But, you do each move with the weight you started with at the beginning of Stage 1.  The idea behind this is to show how much your strength has improved.  So here's what I did:
  • Squats:  went from 30 lb per hand back down to 20 lb per hand; 50 reps (!!! - I could've done at least a few more, but I was getting kind of tired mentally of doing them)
  • Push-ups: went from doing 8 side-arm balance push-ups with 12 lb per hand to doing regular push-up; did 40 reps
  • Bent-over row:  went from 28 lb per hand back down to 15 lb per hand; 25 reps - these were definitely one of the hardest moves for me to improve
  • Step-ups: went from 28 lb per hand back down to 15 lb per hand; 30 reps per leg - my left leg is still a lot weaker
  • Prone jackknifes: this is a bodyweight move, so there's nothing to change; I did 22 reps
Over all, I was pretty happy with this, especially my squats.  Squats are definitely an exercise where you can "lift big", and so I feel like I'm on my way for that.  I was hoping the step-ups would be a lot easier going back to the light weight - I'm still not sure I should be using such a high step (my weight bench).

[Edit: I didn't bring my sheet into work to write this up, and I'd gotten some of the numbers wrong, so I fixed them.]

No comments:

Post a Comment