Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Big Singles Win!

Last night I played #2 singles in our 3.0 match.  We were playing a very hard team, and I only put myself on singles when I don't have enough of our usual singles players.  I ended up playing the same woman that I played and beat in singles earlier this season (6-3, 6-4), who was very nice. However, with my tennis elbow, I was apprehensive about the singles.

I lost the first set 6-2.  I wouldn't say I played horribly, but I had a tendency to hit things a bit long, and I wasn't getting off the mark quickly enough to get some short balls.  In the second set, I kept my shots in better, and we played much more evenly.  The second set was especially exhausting, as we had some really, really long points.  And we weren't just hitting back and forth to each other - we were moving each other around the court and just managing to keep getting the ball back.  I was almost getting dizzy during some of the points because I was breathing so hard.

I won the second set 7-5.  We were pretty even until 4-4, then my opponent got up 5-4.  I'm happy that I managed to win the next three games.  Then the match tie-breaker:  we were pretty even until around 6-6, then I took it away and won 10-6.  It was a great match!

[Edit Apr. 3 to add this paragraph] I really think that my workouts with P90X2 and Insanity the Asylum vol. 2 have helped out my tennis a lot.  The stability, core strength, and agility training in the workouts have improved my strokes and especially helped out with the footwork to keep getting all over the court to get the ball.

Terri won her singles court, so we managed to win 2 courts out of 5 in the match, which is an improvement against that team!

This morning I woke up and felt like I had hardly slept - that was not helped by the fact that I didn't get to bed until almost 1:00am.  My legs were so fatigued.  I kept on my morning workout schedule, though, and did Insanity the Asylum vol. 2 Agility Tutorial and Pure Contact, burning about 225 calories.  It was tough working through that.  Fortunately, as I write this later in the afternoon, I'm feeling more recovered.

I had forgotten to record that I signed up for the Clyde's 10K on Sunday, Apr. 13, 2014.  This race is more expensive than I had really wanted to spring for, but I really want to get in a race longer than a 5K before my half marathon.  Hopefully the weather will be good!

No comments:

Post a Comment