Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Club Night

Last night at TCCP was the club night mixer, which is casual tennis in a round-robin format.  I was not nearly as sore and tired as I thought I would be after my 13-mi run on Sunday.  I hope that means I'm getting better at running and not that I took too many breaks during the run!  At any rate, I enjoyed the doubles and played reasonably well.

During the doubles, I discovered something unfortunate about my new tennis outfit:  the hot pink color bled off all over my skin and anything else it touched!  Wherever I got sweaty, the color ran.  I have a lot of Fila tennis clothing and none of it did that, so I was pretty annoyed.  Fortunately, the color washed off my skin in the shower.  I'll have to be careful washing the clothes, though.  I hope the pink color doesn't wash out into the other colors in the outfit.

This morning I did FOCUS T25 Core Speed (179 cal), followed by Asylum Vol. 2 Pure Contact.  It took me a few minutes to get going on the Core Speed routines, since there's basically no warm-up, but I did get there.  The combination of these two workouts is really killer for doing them in just 47 minutes.  Pure Contact is definitely an underrated plyo workout.  I wish I had the flexibility to do the pike-ups better.  Overall, I burned about 310 calories.

I am getting more and more frustrated with my weight.  I had wanted to lose the couple pounds I gained over Memorial Day vacation.  These last few days, I'm back up to that high weight - and I ran 30 miles last week, by far the most I've run in a week!  I've only been eating 1800 cal/day (except for Saturdays).  I can't believe I'm not losing this stupid weight. 

I just don't think it's possible that I'm eating more than I'm burning.  My BMR should be about 1300 cal, given my weight.  To get some ballpark calorie burn estimates, I used this activity calculator.  It says that for my weight, an hour of moderate calisthenics should burn about 300 calories; not too far off from the FOCUS T25 workout burn that I get.  For an hour of running at 600 mph, about 800 calories, which is MORE than my BodyMedia device measures for me.  For an hour of tennis doubles, 500 calories, which is again more than my BodyMedia device measures for me.  So for my day on Sunday when I did 1 hour of boxing and 2+ hours of running, I should've burned about 1900 calories.  Plus my BMR of 1300 calories, which totals 3200 calories for the day.  That's assuming that I sat still for the rest of the day!  I only ate 1800 - 1900 calories.  My other days are similar, so how can I NOT be losing weight?

I suspect that I'm actually training TOO hard these days.  A couple summers ago when I did about a month of the Insanity/Asylum hybrid workout (which has some double workouts), plus a lot of tennis, and some extra workouts, I worked my butt off and didn't lose a pound.  I think I was working too hard then, too.  It is very frustrating.  I have the time now for the extra workouts to help my training, but apparently I am not recovering sufficiently to lose the weight.  I don't quite understand that, but it seems to be true.  I'm going to try to make myself take a full recovery day this Friday.  I have already been trying to make sure I get to bed on time.  We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment