Friday, July 11, 2014

Easier Long Run

Yesterday afternoon I wanted to do my lower-body and upper-body plyo workout again, but the weather has been very uncooperative.  We've had thunderstorms for the third evening in a row.

Instead, I did a 6-mi run at my goal pace of 6.0 mph.  It took 1:00:00 on the treadmill.  Thankfully, this run felt easier than the last long runs I've done.  And I don't think it's just because it was shorter - on the previous runs, even the first 6 miles felt harder.

This morning I did my shortened version of P90X2 Recovery + Mobility.  I burned about 105 calories.

I was thinking that I should write down my thoughts about the FOCUS T25 Gamma hybrid schedule that I just finished, in particular what I thought about FOCUS T25 Gamma.  Well, it was a mixed bag for me.  The Speed 3.0 workout was a killer cardio workout for 25 minutes.  The same with Core Speed, although that is an extra workout for the whole FOCUS T25 series, not just for Gamma.  These worked really well, I think, when paired up with another shorter workout like I did in order to prolong the burn. 

The strength workouts of Rip't Up, Extreme Circuit, and The Pyramid did not impress me that much.  I guess I just don't like the rush-rush-rush mentality for a strength workout.  While I certainly did feel the burn for some moves, overall I just don't think there was a enough there.  I think more work was needed for: abs, lats, and shoulders (particularly flyes and raises).  And there really isn't much leg work, since the squats and lunges aren't involving much more than bodyweight, since you don't have time to switch to heavier weights for them. 

My goal with the hybrid was to blast some body fat.  I certainly did not do that, unfortunately, but I'm not sure it was really the hybrid's fault.  As I said a couple posts ago, I may just be working too hard overall to lose fat, even though that seems weird.  I did not really enjoy the workouts, especially the strength ones, so this hybrid schedule was a disappointment to me overall.  I can see using the cardio workouts again, but I'm not sure I'll ever come back to the strength ones.  Perhaps in the future when I am stuck for time - that is the advantage of the FOCUS T25 series overall - it is quick!

No comments:

Post a Comment