Thursday, March 6, 2014

Goal Pace Run

Last night I did my first goal pace run, which is just what it sounds like:  you run at the pace you're planning to run the race you're preparing for.  In order to finish my half-marathon in 2:15:00, I need to run at 5.8 mph or 10:20 min/mi.  So last night I ran 7.0 mi at that pace, which led me to finish in 1:12:26.  Happily enough, this felt like a pretty good pace that I could've done for longer.  Which is good!

I'm having a bit of a struggle with the thought of running my longer runs at a slower pace than this.  After all, my longer runs are still shorter or only as long as the half-marathon.  If I want to run the half-marathon at that pace, shouldn't I run the longer runs at that pace?  I guess the idea is that while I'm still running longer distances than I've ever run before, I should ease into it.  However, since I'm only running twice a week usually, I wonder if I should push that.  We'll see.  Since I'm still mostly running on the treadmill because of the cold weather, it's easy to set a pace.  I don't think I'm going to be nearly as successful pacing myself outside.  I suspect in the half-marathon I will start out fast and get slower, and hopefully just manage to finish in my goal time.

This morning I did P90X2 Chest + Back + Balance and X2 Ab Ripper.  This burned about 230 calories.  I did increase my numbers on most exercises.  One thing that has been nice is that coming back to this workout after a long break, my chest strength appears to have not suffered at all - in fact it may be better.  I'm banging out a lot of the push-up variations and balance moves.  The pull-ups are much harder since I really don't focus on them much otherwise.  It's cool to be able to do them, but I don't think the level of strength necessary for a pull-up is needed for much of my other activities.

My weight has been creeping up a bit this week for some reason.  It was even up a tad this morning after my run last night, and usually I lose a lot of water weight from a run.  I may be a little bloated.  I don't think I'm really making that much muscle.  I'll have to keep an eye on it, and I'll have to see what my waist measurements are on my Saturday weekly measuring.

No comments:

Post a Comment